It’s hard to believe that the kids are heading back to school already! At least while they are in school there is that small sigh of relief knowing that they are safe. It’s getting to and from that’s always nerve wracking. We are extra cautious at the beginning of the year, especially with the little ones when they start out, but as the year goes by maybe we don’t pay as much attention as we once did. Here are 8 Back to School Safety Tips every parent must know before the kids leave the house:
1. Whether your child is walking or riding a bike to school, practice the trip with them a couple of times so you are both comfortable with the route.
2. Time how long it takes for them to travel each way; walking or riding. This gives you an idea what time they should arrive in the morning and home in afternoon. As an added precautionary step, if your child has a cell phone, ask them to call or text when they leave and arrive both ways.
3. If there is another child in the neighborhood going to the same school, try to arrange for them to travel together. There is safety in numbers.
5. If your children ride the bus make sure they are familiar with the bus number. It’s better to miss a bus and remain at school with adults that can help instead of taking the wrong bus and no one knows where you are.
6. Tell your children to wait in a group at the bus stop and don’t ever leave the group to walk up to any car that approaches.
7. Never allow your child to “ride” with anyone unless they are on your “safe list,” a list that includes ONLY people your children are ever allowed to go with other than you. This includes walking, riding or even approaching a car. It’s that serious!
8. Communicate! If your child is expressing concern or feeling uncomfortable find out why and take action. Children have great instincts. Listen to them.
In addition to these safety tips you can also visit the National Sex Offender Registry to check out the situation in your neighborhood. We can never be too cautious when it comes to our children!
Tracy Vega is co-founder of Simple Self Defense for Women®. For more information about Simple Self Defense for Women®, Guest Speaking, Workshops, DVD’s, Security Products or how to bring us to your business or campus visit www.simpleselfdefenseforwomen.com