5. Lighting – Natural daylight is best, as it gives a soft look to baby’s skin. Use window lighting to cast fewer shadows. A standard 50mm is also ideal with the camera set to Aperture Priority Mode with a high ISO and wide aperture. Let the camera choose the shutter speed and use an external flash with a diffuser to fill in any dark spots.
6. Ham it up – Be prepared to play hide-and-seek, make funny faces, or make goofy sounds to capture baby’s interest and attention.
7. Backgrounds – Keep it simple. A fantastic photo with professional qualities can be captured with a white, beige, or gray cloth draped behind the baby.
8. Set the stage – Getting siblings to interact in a natural setting can be the perfect way to capture special moments. Give them space and some books or toys to play with, then be ready to click the camera and catch the shot.
9. Black and White – Get some classic shots by using a black or white background. Keep the camera on Aperture Priority Mode and select a large aperture for a soft blurred background. This is striking and dramatic for up-close face shots.
10. Stabilizers – Use a beanbag rather than a tri-pod to stabilize the camera, as it will make it easier to get down on the ground at baby’s level and maneuver to get different angles. If possible, use a silver or white reflector to bounce light and create a soft, flattering shot.
When taking baby photos, have an assistant to help wrangle the baby back into place. Be prepared for baby to crawl, roll, cry, or need a diaper change. Stay calm, cool and collected and the baby will be far more cooperative. If you are friendly and playful, he will follow your lead. Take more shots than you think you’ll need and chances are you’ll capture several treasured shots.
About Sori Fischer
Sori Fischer is a parenting expert and top designer at Feltman Brothers, the renowned line of timeless handmade baby clothing for special occasions. Since 1916, the family-owned Feltman Brothers brand has been providing the world with authentic and high-quality embroidered heirloom baby clothing in classic tradition. Through her research for the Feltman Brothers line, Sori has great insight on a vast array of parenting topics and helps moms and dads navigate the baby and childhood years with knowledge and style.