Special mealtimes are wonderful opportunities to create bonds and memories for families. Most major milestone events are usually celebrated with a large gathering of people around an elegant, gorgeous table. To increase your children’s confidence at the table, use these occasions to teach them impeccable dining etiquette manners.
1. Come to the table on time with hands and face clean.
2. Sit politely in the chair. Don’t tip it back as you may fall or break the chair.
3. Wait until the Host says to begin – either with an announcement or a Blessing (or sometimes a bell!).
4. The napkin goes on the lap — not tucked under the chin. Nor do you smack your sibling with it. Never blow your nose, put bones or pits or gum in your napkin. Elbows off the table!!
5. Pass the platters of food to the right and keep the food moving while it’s still hot. Don’t let the food crowd in front of you. And ask politely if you want something passed to you. Salt & pepper shakers always move around the table as a unit.